Sunday, December 7, 2008

Stressed for Finals?


Finals are approaching and you might be stressed out (I know for a fact I am!). Finals are tests that are there to see how well you remember all the things you studied so far in the year, in the various subject areas. Whenever I think of tests, I start to worry and start thinking of all the possible things that I might do wrong, like if I’m careless and mess up or if I completely blank during it, etc. There are many things that could go wrong, but preparing for it ahead is a smart way to go.
Don’t try cramming the night before the test, because you probably won’t remember much and that is not good because in a short amount of time you are trying to memorize half a year’s worth of stuff. Instead study a little each day. Go back to homework assignments and see what problems you had and go back to that and reread that lesson. Don’t try reading the whole book cause that might just make you more confused. Why bother studying something when you already know it? Better to go back and spend time on parts that you don’t understand. Also when studying make sure your not on Facebook, MySpace, Aim, etc. and also make sure your cell phone and ipod are away from you, because they can be very big distractions. I also find it very helpful when you take breaks along the way. Don’t study nonstop, but maybe study for 20 to 30 min, take a short break and then continue that way you don’t feel so overwhelmed and intimidated when you see all the textbooks and papers.
Finally the night before the test, make sure you sleep early, getting a good night sleep that way you are prepared and ready to take the tests. Also make sure you have a good, healthy breakfast, and not sugary things, because they could make you sleepy and make you not concentrate well. Make sure you eat something though! It would be very bad if while taking you test, if your stomach starts grumbling. Then during the whole time you will be concentrating on that and worrying if people could hear the growling, instead of trying to successfully do the test. All in all, don’t stress! Be smart and plan according and you will do fine on the finals!

No comments: