Saturday, September 27, 2008

"College News...."

Everyday we hear the phrase "college news" in the morning announcements as various colleges visit GBN. College...what does it mean to you? One might say, getting straight A's, achieving 4.0 or even higher, going to various clubs and doing sports. All in all, each one of us is trying to build up a very impressive resume for college.
Despite being a sophomore, I am thinking about college and what I want to do with my life. Either wanting to go to a prestigious college like Harvard or going to a community college like Oakton, we are always thinking of where we want to go.
My parents always want me to do my best in school and always want me to get really good grades. I try to do this but I wonder how much more can I do? There are billions and billions of kids wanting to get into the different colleges. How can I stand out from all the other intelligent kids?
Each one of us has sometimes thought about this question. The answer is....not to stress and just try to do your best. Yes, it is true that you should apply for colleges, but in the end colleges will seek you out depending on what your strengths are. In short, don't stress about college, just choose one which you believe will help you add on to your strengths.

2 comments:

H Yoon said...

since my brother is a senior this year, there is talk about colleges at my house every single day. college this, college that, blah blah blah. it's all the same, yet i can't help but wonder how i'm going to react when i'll be in his shoes in three years. i, of course, hope that i can get into some prestigious college, but, without the adequate grades, how can i even dream of applying to, for example, Harvard? (not that i'm going to apply to Harvard) when you apply for your first real job, they are going to ask you what college you went to. so people do sometimes judge you based on what college you went to. i hope that in the very near future, i can have the grades that leaves me with various choices on which college to attend.

bshah said...

I actually think that even though we all have that huge stress, especially from our parents, about what colledge you want to go to, we shouldn't base our life all on what we want to put on our colledge resumes. I feel that sometimes that is the only reason people join school clubs and sports or even their volunteering. I think that this makes no sense because you shouldn't do something your forced to do. I especially get angry because I am involved in many different clubs and actually do them for enjoyment as well as my volunteering for my own reasons. However, when I see someone who only thinks that this will look good on their college records it irritates me because since the only reason they are joining the club or volunteering is to get that extra something to add to their apps and sometimes once senior year roles around and they have already finished and sent all their applications they end their interest in a club or activity and work less sufficiently. I think your only going to get out of the volunteer service or the activity the amount of interest you TRULY put into it.